Let’s start off with a quick vocab lesson for this blog…
Google+ (G+) Google’s social networking platform.
+1 This button is often found where the social media platforms are showcased on a website. If you give a website a +1, Google will share your endorsement with friends and contacts when they search. It’s similar to the “Like” button on Facebook.
Now let’s begin!
In a world where new social media platforms and updates are introduced everyday, it’s hard to keep up with your business’ social presence. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are obviously the most popular, especially for business, but what about Google+? While most of your target audience probably is not actively using G+, there is evidence that Google’s new search algorithm, Hummingbird, is using a company’s presence, or lack there of, to effect their organic search ranking.
Here’s how it works…
– +1’s are extremely important. After Page Authority, a calculated metric for how well a given webpage is likely to rank on Google, +1’s have a higher correlation with search ranking than any other factor. So start building those +1’s.
– Having an audience is extremely valuable, even if your audience does not actively use G+ as a social network. If they follow you or have you in a “circle,” that will boost your rankings when they search for things related to your G+ posts.
– Biases can also be created through Gmail. Even if you do not follow someone on G+, but you have exchanged emails, Google will rank results that they have given a +1 higher.
– Getting influencers to share your content on G+ can result in higher rankings even if your G+ audience is low.
– Publish posts on G+ regularly to stay relevant.
Although Google will never divulge whether or not a presence on G+ effects search rankings, there have been significant studies that show sharing content on G+ can have a significant influence on rankings. G+ is the most superior social platform for SEO. Content you share on G+ is far more valuable for search than content shared on Facebook and other platforms. So start sharing your posts on G+ and up those rankings! Content is KING!